Monday, June 15, 2009

Mixology Monday: Ginger Cocktails



This month’s Mixology Monday is being hosted by Rum Dood and the theme is ginger. Ha! You just mistakenly thought we would disclose the secret behind our someday-it-will-be-famous Horny Ninjarita, previously known as the Horny G*ngerita until someone trademarked the G-word so we can’t use it anymore. For those of you who are not lucky enough to live locally, the Horny G*ngerita, I mean, Ninjarita is a Felicia's Atomic Lounge margarita made with Hornitos tequila and our fresh ginger-lime elixir. Tough crap, you will have to wait until Felicia’s cocktail book comes out for that recipe, which at my current writing rate should be around 2017.

Felicia’s ginger cocktail for Mixology Monday is based on cachaca. I don’t know how to put the little tail on the last “c” in cachaca so you will just have to imagine it is there. Look it up if you don’t know what I am talking about. We tried ginger with scotch first, but ginger risks tasting medicinal when drink/drank/drunk (damn it – which is it?) with whiskey. Say, Rum Dood, does cachaca count as rum, kind of sort of maybe? I had a, ahem, rum "incident" when I was 14 so cachaca is about as close as I can get to your holy spirit.

I am a huge fan of cachaca in general and the caipirinha specifically, but we decided to skip limes today mostly because we found an orange, not a lime, staring at us from the fridge. The flavor of cachaca harmonizes perfectly with ginger and orange. We named our cocktail “Lazy Lover” after a song by the Brazilian Girls, who are neither Brazilian nor girls. OK, one girl, but I’ve never met her so whatever.

Drink and enjoy, and make sure you visit Rum Dood for other Mixology Monday ginger cocktail recipes.

Lazy Lover
1 ½ ounce cachaca
1 ounce ginger-honey syrup (see below)
1 orange wheel

Muddle all ingredients in a glass. Add ice. Shake. Serve on the rocks.

Ginger-Honey Syrup
½ cup honey
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger

Bring ingredients almost to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Let cool and strain.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Chris Bostick said...

Awesome use of cachaca. I absolutely love the stuff. Any one in particular you like more than others? I've been using Sagatiba lately and it's delicious. They even have an aged cachaca thats pretty tasty. I like Leblon also. Great post!

Who is Felicia? said...

I like Leblon and Boca Loca, but I like cachaca so much that I would settle for Pitu if that was all I could find.

philgomes said...

Featured: http://www.cachacagora.com/2009/06/cocktail-recipe-lazy-lover.html

Phil Gomes
Editor / Curator
Cachaçagora